The plate method is a simplified eating strategy to help you get your blood sugar and weight under better control.
It is easy for most people to follow and allows you to be flexible with your diet.
By focusing on portion control you can still include some of your favorite foods, which helps to decrease feelings of deprivation.
Another great thing about the plate method is that you don’t have to worry about counting calories or macros. If you follow the plate method, you will naturally be eating a diet that is good for your diabetes and weight loss goals.
What is the Plate Method?
The plate method is incredibly simple. First, choose a plate (or similarly sized bowl) that is approximately 9 inches wide or less. You plan your meal by dividing the plate (or bowl) in 3 sections:
- 1/2 of the plate should be filled with non-starchy vegetables.
- ¼ of the plate should be filled with protein based foods.
- ¼ of the plate should be filled with wholesome carbohydrate foods.
It works by providing a balanced diet, that is plant-forward. When you increase your non-starchy vegetable intake you will increase your fiber and it will make you feel much fuller. This allows you to eat less of the other items, which most individuals overeat, particularly the starchy foods. Though, you still get to enjoy them in moderation (1/4 of plate). Of course, we know most people do not eat enough non-starchy vegetables, which can affect our health.
For additional strategies to improve your diet, check out these 7 healthy eating habits you can incorporate.
Plate Method Meal Ideas
Here are a few plate method meals you could incorporate:
- ½ plate salad with lettuce, tomato, onion & sliced avocado + ¼ plate black beans + ¼ plate Spanish rice
- ½ plate cabbage + ¼ plate baked pork chop + ¼ plate baked potato
- ½ plate of lettuce, onion, tomato + 1/4 plate burger patty + 1/4 plate high fiber slices of bread
- ½ plate steamed mixed veggies (such as broccoli, cauliflower & carrots) + ¼ plate ground meat sauce + ¼ plate pasta
- ½ plate steamed broccoli + ¼ plate of baked salmon + ¼ plate of rice
Printable Diabetes Plate Method (& Weight Loss Plate Method)
Download a copy of the printable diabetes and weight loss plate method PDF here.
I hope this plate method document helps you to get on track with your eating. You don’t always have to follow the plate method. However, it is a great template to follow when you can.
If you are able to use this eating pattern to plan your meals, you should start to see some positive health benefits, including improving blood sugar numbers and weight loss.